With today’s economy, the number of children coming back home after college is increasing, or, even further, they never leave home. This is known as boomerang kids effect, and this boomerang effect is constantly growing. According to the Pew Research Center, “Among 18- to 24-year old more than half (53%) live at home or moved in for a time during the past few years.”

It’s even more astonishing that grown-up kids (read: the adults) moving in with their folks appear to rise above financial limits. “Guardians with yearly family income of $130,000 or more are as possible as those with incomes under $40,000 to say their grown-ups’ children are about to move back in their parent’s homes because of financial concerns.” Is this insurance for them on a long term?


Charging your adult children rent is individual decision and everybody should consider what will be the best for their family. The situation differs from family to family and there are a lot of different circumstances under which this decision should be considered.

For example, maybe the best entrance to this issue in not charging your children rent in the first 6-12 months after coming back home. We all need a certain period finding nice and well-paying job that will actually suit us. We all need at least few months’ period to settle. Afterwards, set them a small amount for rent. Give them knowledge that nothing is free in life. After 24 months, raise the price of the rent significantly. This is time consuming and sometimes, hard to manage process. However, giving your children time is the best you can do for them in this kind of situation.

Letting your children to move back home and give them “free of charge” rent period will be insurance for them to settle, find appropriate job by degree and save money for future housing investment. Otherwise, the situation may lead them into debts.

What people are saying about this, insurance of debt?:

John A. (parent): Yes, the kid should be searching for jobs if he/she is not in school. Having a home is not free. The kid should help out and if he/she is working, absolutely, should pay rent or something.

Barbara M. (parent): Absolutely yes! You can’t support a grown person living for free.

Meghan (parent): Absolutely! But some money put away to help them get their own place and the rest to pay bills.

Jessica (child): I’m 21 and have been living on my own since 18. I feel like if you have an adult child in the house then yes. They should help pay rent. I don’t think anyone that’s over 19 should sit at mom and Dads and do nothing and contribute nothing. You’re an adult. Be an adult. I also don’t think they need to be at home forever. Don’t enable them, get them to move out and learn how to be a real adult.

Mike (child): This really depends on the situation. I lived with my parents as an adult for about 6 months. I wanted to save up enough money to put a very large down payment on a house. When I told them this they offered to let me live there, rent free. Now, I didn’t pay rent, but I made sure I did my share of chores. I was usually the first home after work so I would cook dinner 4–6 nights per week. I walked all of our dogs about 50% of the time. My goal while living there was to make life a little easier for them while I was there.


photo credit:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *